In this episode of the Progressive Dairy podcast, host Kimmi Devaney visits with Washington dairy farmer Krista Stauffer about her journey in sharing her story online, the challenges of starting a dairy farm in 2009, how advocacy impacts mental health, what she’s learned about managing employees, how Washington’s agriculture overtime law has affected their farm and more.
This podcast is brought to you by AMS Galaxy.
The next generation in robotic milking has arrived! Meet the Galaxy Merlin2G from the U.S.A. robotic milking company that you know and trust – AMS Galaxy. This new model brings the magic to auto-milking and helps you take your dairy out of this world. Find out more now.
AMS Galaxy USA helps farmers by bringing precision dairy equipment to the U.S. market. Working directly with dairy farmers, AMS Galaxy finds automation solutions to make farms more efficient and profitable. They listen to the needs of the producer then bring proven solutions that fill those needs. Their newest addition is the Merlin2G – the next generation of robotic milking. This new model combines the expertise of AMS Galaxy’s controls and technical knowledge with the confidence of thousands of milking with the Merlin2G from Fullwood JOZ. The milking robot from AMS Galaxy is a powerhouse that you don’t want to miss!
Watch a video of the Merlin2G in action.
Season 4, Episode 26
Here is a breakdown of the episode:
- About her farm [~1:12]
- What it was like starting a dairy in 2009 [~1:40]
- What inspired her husband to start dairy farming and why they chose their current location [~3:15]
- Progression of the first decade of dairy farming [~4:55]
- How the COVID-19 pandemic affected the Stauffers in the Pacific Northwest [~7:05]
- Kids’ roles on the farm [~8:30]
- How and why Krista started sharing her story online [~9:30]
- Consumer feedback to her social media pages [~13:10]
- How she’s dealt with trolls and others with negative intentions against dairy farming [~14:10]
- Resources and mentors [~15:10]
- Mental health related to advocacy [~17:55]
- Krista’s advice for others sharing their farm stories online [~23:15]
- Krista shares about running a local boutique [~24:15]
- What she’s learned about work-life balance [~27:10]
- The most important things she’s learned about managing people to build a good work environment [~28:45]
- How Washington’s agriculture overtime law has affected their farm [~30:35]
- What should dairy producers living in states without state agriculture overtime laws know about how this law may affect them? [~33:15]
- Rapid fire questions [~33:55]
Krista’s social media links:
Are you a subscriber?
Keep up with our Progressive Dairy podcast episodes to gain insights from what is happening in the industry to new and evolving management techniques for your operation. Just like our magazine, we’ll cover a multitude of topics including human resources, business management, facilities, repro and genetics, feed and nutrition, calf and heifer raising, dry and transition cows, herd health, hoof health, milk quality, animal welfare and manure handling. Subscribe now to be notified of new releases.
Click here to find past episodes and quick links to subscribe on your favorite platform.