Editor Walt Cooley visits with Progressive Dairy contributor Andy “Caygeon” Junkin during World Dairy Expo about working with family and succession planning. This three-part episode discusses how to goal-set for success, how the next generation should work with their elders on the farm, and how to set a farm on the right path for succession. Junkins’s niche is helping stubborn farmers work better together.
This podcast is brought to you by Allflex.
Producers all over are going "All In on Allflex" monitoring solutions.
And they want to tell you why.
See, Allflex empowers producers to get the most from their operations by increasing labor efficiency and improving herd health and reproduction rates.
Just as importantly, this market-leading technology comes with ongoing training and support, so every question you have, gets an answer.
And now that Allflex is under the umbrella of Merck Animal Health, you have the expertise of animal health and monitoring care all in one place.
Hear from producers in their own words at AllInOnAllflex.com.
Season 4, Episode 34
Here’s a breakdown of the episode:
- Business planning for farm families [~2:45]
- Junkin’s business plan in his wallet and how he manages day-to-day goals [~9:30]
- One-page business plan [~12:45]
- Creating short mission and vision statements and how it can change your operation [~18:15]
- Importance of shared goals [~21:40]
- What it takes to put a succession plan in place [~24:00]
- How to transfer management and wisdom before transferring assets [~34:10]
- First draft of succession strategy [~41:45]
- Tips for navigating family members not being on the same page [~46:30]
- Why many farm families struggle with communicating with each other [~50:45]
- Tackling four to five areas the farm struggles with [~56:20]
- Importance of common values and beliefs [~57:45]
- Navigating changing family dynamics during the first few years of coming back to the farm [~59:45]
To learn more about Junkin’s work in this area, visit www.stubborn.farm
Are you a subscriber?
Keep up with our Progressive Dairy podcast episodes to gain insights from what is happening in the industry to new and evolving management techniques for your operation. Just like our magazine, we’ll cover a multitude of topics including human resources, business management, facilities, repro and genetics, feed and nutrition, calf and heifer raising, dry and transition cows, herd health, hoof health, milk quality, animal welfare and manure handling. Subscribe now to be notified of new releases.
Click here to find past episodes and quick links to subscribe on your favorite platform.