In a significant technological move forward for agriculture, the National FFA Organization will stream its 2011 National Convention in Indianapolis Oct. 19-22 live online via the newly launched Alltech Ag Network on iHigh.com. The televised convention will be accessible real time via computers, iPads and all iPhone, Android and BlackBerry mobile devices. As FFA membership stands at more than a half-million students throughout the U.S., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, iHigh.com expects this to be their largest telecast ever. Yet the significance of the convention broadcast goes beyond record-breaking metrics.
“Agriculture is taking the lead in communications, moving high tech to engage the world in its story,” said Billy Frey, general manager of the Alltech Ag Network. “iHigh.com’s unique platform enables it to, for example, on a recent Friday night, broadcast more than 170 high school football games simultaneously and live to mobile devices free of charge. This is a capability far beyond many major sports organizations and applications. FFA is now harnessing this power, broadening its reach at a time when our growing population is moving increasingly far away from the stories of the farm and the origins of their food."
The broadcast schedule for the 2011 FFA National Convention is as follows (times are listed in EST):
• I Believe – Opening Session at Conseco Fieldhouse – Oct. 19, 7:15 p.m.
• I Believe in Action – Second Session at Conseco Fieldhouse – Oct. 20, 2 p.m.
• I Believe in... – Third Session at Conseco Fieldhouse – Oct. 20, 7:30 p.m.
• I Believe in Service – Fourth Session at Conseco Fieldhouse – Oct. 21, 8 a.m.
• I Believe in Leadership – Fifth Session at Conseco Fieldhouse – Oct. 21, 12 p.m.
• I Believe in Excellence – Sixth Session at Conseco Fieldhouse – Oct. 21, 3 p.m.
• I Believe in Possibilities – Seventh Session at Conseco Fieldhouse – Oct. 21, 7 p.m.
• I Believe in Passion – Eighth Session at Conseco Fieldhouse – Oct. 22, 7:45 a.m.
• I Believe in the Future – Ninth Session at Conseco Fieldhouse – Oct. 22, 1:30 p.m.
View the broadcasts live on the Internet or an iPad at ffa.ihigh.com. For mobile phone, including iPhones, Androids and some BlackBerrys, the broadcasts may be accessed at m.ihigh.com/ffa by clicking on the Media button and selecting your smartphone type to view the broadcast.
Broadcasts will be viewable live and on-demand at no cost to the users. If there are any issues viewing a broadcast, contact (859) 514-3886 for technical support. PD
—From Alltech news release
Dwight Armstrong (left), CEO of the National FFA Organization, and Billy Frey (right), general manager of the Alltech Ag Network, shake hands on a partnership that will see the 2011 National FFA Convention broadcast live online, accessible via computers, iPads, iPhones, Blackberrys and Androids. Photo courtesy of Alltech.