In this episode of the Progressive Dairy Podcast, host Jenn Coyne visits with Jake Peissig of JTP Farms. Peissig and his lean workforce strive for superior milk quality and cow care with a strategic approach to mastitis treatment and dry cow therapy. This Wisconsin dairy producer was recently recognized as the inaugural Dairy First award recipient by Boehringer Ingelheim, celebrating Peissig’s commitment to milk quality practices and the well-being of his herd.
This podcast is brought to you by AMS Galaxy.
The next generation in robotic milking has arrived! Meet the Galaxy Merlin2G from the U.S.A. robotic milking company that you know and trust – AMS Galaxy. This new model brings the magic to auto-milking and helps you take your dairy out of this world. Find out more now.
AMS Galaxy USA helps farmers by bringing precision dairy equipment to the U.S. market. Working directly with dairy farmers, AMS Galaxy finds automation solutions to make farms more efficient and profitable. They listen to the needs of the producer then bring proven solutions that fill those needs. Their newest addition is the Merlin2G – the next generation of robotic milking. This new model combines the expertise of AMS Galaxy’s controls and technical knowledge with the confidence of thousands of milking with the Merlin2G from Fullwood JOZ. The milking robot from AMS Galaxy is a powerhouse that you don’t want to miss!
Watch a video of the Merlin2G in action.
Season 4, Episode 36
Here is a breakdown of the episode:
- Tell me about JTP Farms. [~1:40]
- What is your farming philosophy on growing and sustaining the herd in today’s dairy industry? [~2:42]
- What are management things you do on the farm that let you achieve your goals regarding milk quality and cow comfort? [~4:55]
- How do you address milk quality in your herd with selective dry cow therapy, mastitis culturing and other treatment protocols? [~6:12]
- What have been the positive outcomes in terms of milk quality, herd health and overall herd performance? [~10:45]
- What challenges have you and your team had to overcome in order to meet your farm goals? [~12:56]
- How has technology played a role in achieving your farm goals? [~15:35]
- Could you imagine farming and managing a milking herd any other way without technology? [~19:02]
- What’s next for Jake Peissig and the team at JTP Farms? [~20:07]
- What advice would you give other dairy producers who are looking to improve their herd management, specifically targeting improved milk quality and the overall well-being of the animals on their farm? [~21:49]
- How does Boehringer Ingelheim’s inaugural Dairy First award reflect what you and your team accomplish each day at JTP Farms? [~24:56]
- Rapid fire questions [~25:46]
Are you a subscriber?
Keep up with our Progressive Dairy podcast episodes to gain insights from what is happening in the industry to new and evolving management techniques for your operation. Just like our magazine, we’ll cover a multitude of topics including human resources, business management, facilities, repro and genetics, feed and nutrition, calf and heifer raising, dry and transition cows, herd health, hoof health, milk quality, animal welfare and manure handling. Subscribe now to be notified of new releases.
Click here to find past episodes and quick links to subscribe on your favorite platform.