In this episode of the Progressive Dairy Podcast, host Kimmi Devaney visits with branding experts Sara Talcott and Felice Thorpe about how to build a standout brand, when to stay local versus grow regionally or nationally, how to differentiate your brand story and much more as it relates to branding, sales and marketing.
This podcast is brought to you by Anpario.
Anpario is the manufacturer and global distributer of specialist, innovative feed technologies which includes the sustainable Orego-Stim product range. Developed from a source of 100% natural oregano essential oil, this high-quality flavoring helps to maintain a healthy appetite and support voluntary feed intakes throughout critical stages of production.
Orego-Stim has been formulated to be low inclusion and free-flowing for addition to calf milk and dairy rations. A flavoring product with a long shelf life, Orego-Stim helps to maintain healthy appetites in dairy calves and has been shown to increase visits to milk and concentrate feeders. Maintaining voluntary feed intake supports growth performance and gut health, which is associated with a reduced incidence of scour. In addition, the composition of Orego-Stim is patented for efficacy in reducing antimicrobial resistance, following a research program in calves that reported reduced levels of E. coli. bacteria resistant to a fourth-generation cephalosporin antibiotic.
Season 5, Episode 16
Here’s a breakdown of the episode:
- How does a brand become valuable to consumers? [~3:30]
- What are some examples of farms and agricultural brands that have done a great job marketing to consumers? [~4:50]
- What does it take to launch a standout brand? [~7:45]
- What role does conveying a compelling story have on brand loyalty and overall marketing? [~11:25]
- For farms considering diversification, what are some key skillsets that you’d recommend they either identify within their current team members or add to their team? [~17:35]
- How does social media and having an online presence impact marketing efforts? [~20:44]
- When is it advantageous to stay local and when should a brand consider branching out to reach a broader customer base? [~22:55]
- For existing brands, why is it important for them to nurture their current loyal customers base instead of only trying to attract new fans? [~25:30]
- Where do you see the most potential for growth within agricultural niche markets? [~27:30]
- Is there anything that you’d recommend avoiding or lessons learned that you’ve observed from some of the farms you’ve worked with? [~33:00]
- What else can dairy farmers do to differentiate themselves and build a loyal customer base? [~37:40]
- What are the first steps a producer who is interested in diversifying should take to set themselves up for success? [~42:30]
- Rapid-fire questions [~43:30]
Are you a podcast subscriber?
Keep up with Progressive Dairy Podcast episodes to gain insights from what is happening in the industry to new and evolving management techniques for your operation. Just like our magazine, we’ll cover a multitude of topics including human resources, business management, facilities, repro and genetics, feed and nutrition, calf and heifer raising, dry and transition cows, herd health, hoof health, milk quality, animal welfare and manure handling. Subscribe now to be notified of new releases.
Click here to find past episodes and quick links to subscribe on your favorite platform.